Restricted Service July – December 2023

Crisis only grants

Please read all the information on the Home page before deciding whether to apply.

Frequently Asked Questions

We approve over 90% of applications received

Do I need to pay back the grant?

No, you do not have to pay back the grant.

There are lots of people who are worse off than me - should I still apply?
Yes. We take into account your individual circumstances, including your income, outgoings and housing and care costs. The Trust approves 90% of applications, so if we approve your application it doesn’t mean that this will disadvantage another person who applies.
I am not on benefits - can I still apply?

No, you do not need to be in receipt of benefits. You just need to be on a low income, whether from pensions, wages or benefits. You must be aged 60 or over.

I am on Universal Credit - can I still apply?
Yes, however you must be 60 or over.
I am not old enough to get a pension - can I still apply?
Yes, as long as you are 60 or over you can apply. You will need to tell us how much you get from other sources of income.
I am still working - can I still apply?
Yes, as long as you are 60 or over you can still apply. You will have to tell us your monthly earnings.
I have applied before - can I apply again?
Yes, you can apply even if you have previously received a grant.
I own my own house - can I still apply?
Yes, you can apply. The Trust appreciates that whilst some older people may be homeowners, they may still have a low income. We may also offer you a free annual boiler service.
I have some savings put aside - can I still apply?
Yes, although the Trust is unlikely to fund your request if you have in excess of £8,000 in savings.
I have a private pension - can I still apply?
Yes. We will need to know your monthly income from your private pension.
I am not really an 'old' person, as I am still quite active - can I still apply?
Yes, as long as you are 60 or over, you can apply. We are an old people’s charity, not a disability charity.
What financial information do I need to provide?
We need full details of your financial situation, including your income from all sources, and all savings (ISAs, building society, bonds etc). We may ask for copies of bank statements and proof of savings. The Trustees need to know full details about your financial situation, as we can only support those in need, hardship or distress.

Visit us Wednesdays at the Council Hub

Join us every Wednesday from 10am to 1pm for face-to-face advice about the grants we offer.

The Hub – St Albans
City & District Council, Civic Centre
St Albans AL1 3JE

Senior Couple

If you are 60+, resident in the St Albans District and not easily able to afford items or services please contact us.

07541 659442