Restricted Service until end of June 2024

Crisis only grants

Please read all the information on the Home page before deciding whether to apply.

What we fund

The Trust can give grants for a very wide range of items and services.  If you need something that is not on the list, please check the ‘What we can’t pay for’ section below, or contact us to ask. Some people only need one thing, e.g. to replace a broken cooker, whereas other people may need a range of items and services all at once.

We respond to the needs that you tell us you have.

Who we use

The tradespeople and suppliers that we use are signed up to our Code of Conduct. Cleaning staff will have a DBS check via their employer. Wherever possible we use local tradespeople that we know and trust.

What we CAN pay for

Household items

Bed, reclining chair, cooker, washing machine, tumble drier, fridge, freezer, furniture, hoover etc.


Regular cleaning, meals on wheels for a limited period. Installation of keysafe for care alarm (but not ongoing costs of care alarm monitoring).
One-off deep clean in exceptional circumstances.

Support with Travel Costs

Grants towards travel expenses to hospital (if other free/low cost options are not suitable). You may be able to apply for the Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme (HTCS), part of the NHS Low Income Scheme which also covers other expenses such as prescriptions and glasses. Call 0300 330 1343

Small handyman jobs

Small handyman jobs


Replacement of worn carpet, or if moving to new premises without any flooring.


Contribution to removals costs

Personal items

Clothing, warm coat, glasses, supportive shoes or boots. You will need to remind your optician if you are on Pension Credit that you are eligible for a discount voucher. 

Mobility aids

Walker, wheelchair, mobility scooter.

Pest control

E.g. a rodent infestation.

TV licence

Free TV licence if over 75 and up to £20 over the the income limit for receiving Pension Credit.


Contribution to costs. We will first ask you to apply to the Government Bereavement Service for a grant. If you are eligible the Government grant is often between £1000 and £2500 and you should hear within 4 weeks.

What we CAN’T pay for

Under 60

Anything for a person under the age of 60.  We cannot make any exceptions.

Boiler Issues

Boiler issues. As of October 2023, we no longer provide free annual boiler services, boiler repairs or contributions to replacement boilers. We suggest you contact St Albans Home Energy Support Service, run by Better Homes Better Health, on 0800 107 0044. They, or Citizens Advice can give you information on sources of grants for boilers.

Sudden major home emergencies

Emergencies with utilities such as water leaks, gas leaks or power failures. We do not have access to tradespeople who can attend on the same day. Please contact your utility provider

Building works

Large scale building works or structural house repairs e.g. roofing repairs, rewiring of a house, replacing doors and windows.

Adaptions to the home

Disability adaptions to the home e.g. wet rooms. St Albans Council has a Disability Facilities Grant – please contact the Council

Care costs or Respite Care


The Trust does not pay bills. However we may be able to provide a supermarket voucher to help with the cost of living. We will suggest that you contact Citizens Advice, who may be able to support you to negotiate with your supplier.

Items which your landlord or housing provider should pay for.


Regular gardening or fence repair/replacement.

Got Questions?

Some of the most common questions we receive are answered on our Frequently Asked Questions page — check it out:

Senior Couple

If you are 60+, resident in the St Albans District and not easily able to afford items or services please contact us.

07541 659442